Have OCD, anxious about results of exam, cannot do anything productive. Am I sick?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi

I currently have a big concern about wether I am sick or not.
This causes my OCD to explode.
I cannot do anything productive because that is not allowed from my OCD.

Should I ignore these thought and just continue living and wait for my results to come back?
What if the results are very bad for me. I might blame myself because I ignored my OCD thoughts.

Please help
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 6 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     19 yr old male
•     Known case of OCD
•     Concern related to symptoms and guilt of poor performance in exam

OCD is characterized by repetitive, intrusive thoughts/fear/doubt with associated compulsive behavior and anxiety. OCD is also associated with poor concentration which can lead to poor academic performance.

OCD is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalised anxiety disorder. Some time this anxiety may be very severe and can give rise to concern and worry like your words:I currently have a big concern about wether I am sick or not.
This causes my OCD to explode.

If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction.

Following steps will help:
-Do not worry about symptoms as effective treatment is available for OCD.
-Inform your family members regarding your suffering so that they can provide you some support and help in treatment.
-Same time you may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your OCD. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past.
-Two type of treatment is available for OCD: cognitive behaviour therapy (form of counseling) and drug therapy

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Have OCD, anxious about results of exam, cannot do anything productive. Am I sick? 15 minutes later
Hi

Thank you very much
Im not worried for OCD.
Im worried for HIV or cancer.

This causes me a lot of stress

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 12 hours later
Hello again,

Thanks for follow up,

I can understand your concerns and suffering. Repetitive fear of HIV is seen in many OCD patients. Which is a excessive, repetitive intrusive fear of illness (HIV) and lead to severe stress.

But above mentioned steps will help you greatly.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have OCD, anxious about results of exam, cannot do anything productive. Am I sick? 6 hours later
Hi

Thank you
What do you think of alternative mecicin for OCD?
Also what do you think of velerian for the peace of my mind?
And what do you think of using weed to fight OCD?

One other thing that I expierence lately is that when I am falling asleep I am thinking about a story to dream of for example or just thinking about life in general. For Example I am thinking about my school and than suddenly I am thinking about something completely different without even knowing when the switch happened and Than I am suddenly aware of what I am thinking about and than I really think what The .... is this. Its really annoying because I cannot think about something anymore Because suddenly I am thinking about something completely different.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,

Ans: Allopathic medicnes are most effective in OCD in my personal experience.

Ans: It has sedative action and commonly used for insomnia. It is not a good option for illness like OCD.

Ans: Weed will increase OCD symptoms in long term.

Ans: It is typical example of excessive worry which occur in OCD and other anxiety disorders. Steps in primary reply will help you greatly.

Wish you good health.
Regards.