Have NHL. Suffering from acute bronchitis, cough and clogged lungs. Permanent cure?

Hi doc , I am an old case of NHL , I have under gone chemo n radiotherapy last dose was 2008. I am , with God's grace , good now , however ,due to immune system being affected, I catch infections very fast , main problem in winters when I am invariabally down with acute bronchites, cough gets clogged in lungs , there was this case of 90% blockage of lungs in 2010. It gets so serious.
Kindly advise proper medication for immediet relief and a permanent remedy also for future.
At present I am on FLUZET - 1 tds , BEPOD - 1bd , and SOLME-6- 1bd with a cogh syrup THROTY-2 spoons tds.
Before this I have already finished 10 tabs of ROXITHROMYCIN , Wicoryl , and 3 tabs of LIVOCETRAGENE.
Posted Sat, 9 Feb 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 3 hours later

I am pleased to know that your doing well despite NHL. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy can weaken body immunity which may causes frequent infection. However it seem to me you are taking right medicines for now.

You need to boost it. You can take multi-vitamins, vitamin C, fruit juice, lemon tea, antioxidants, etc. - these things can help you.

In addition to this good life styles such as regular food, adequate sleep, physical exercise, transcendental meditation and other destressing measures are the ones which will help you maintain a healthy and infection free life.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Follow-up: Have NHL. Suffering from acute bronchitis, cough and clogged lungs. Permanent cure? 21 hours later
what u have given me is advise on my past , what I want is what medicines should I take for getting rid of accute bronchitis which I am at present suffering , I have already given what medicines I have already had.
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 51 minutes later
Thanks for follow up question!

Roxithromycin is an antibiotic effective in treatment of some bacteria. If your symptoms are not better with this antibiotic, you will need microscopic examination of sputum along with culture studies. Culturing the sample will isolate the causative pathogen which can direct your physician to start the right antibiotic.

In addition acute bronchitis also needs to be treated with symptomatic drugs. All your current symptomatic medications seem right to me. So please continue with them as directed by your physician.

That being said, you will need the measures as discussed in my previous reply to keep recurrence at bay.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Follow-up: Have NHL. Suffering from acute bronchitis, cough and clogged lungs. Permanent cure? 19 hours later
I have finished 5 days course as prescribed by doc, however the sputum is still there in my lungs . Can u kindly suggest some accurate drug / injection that can clear my lungs.
Answered by Dr. Himanshu Pandey 32 minutes later

Thanks for sharing your concern.

I understand that you have gone through a course of Roxithromycin for 5 days. It is possible that acute bronchitis stays for a few days, say around 1-2 weeks. It is possible especially during winters, as you said, due to decreased immunity.

As explained before, sometimes a particular antibiotic may not work for an infection. In that case, we will have to culture the organism in the sputum and see what antibiotic it gets killed with. So, only a culture and sensitivity of the sputum can guide us about which antibiotic can be used.

Please do consult with your physician for the test. So that the right treatment can be started.

Meanwhile, you can do the following.
- Steam inhalation- This helps in clearing the sputum from the respiratory tract.
- Drink only warm water.
- Avoid refrigerated food.
- Maintain your room at a warm temperature.

Be safe and healthy.