Have Myalgic Encephalitis, Lyme disease, Hasimoto's disease, Pulmonary Embolii, heart arrhythmia, cataracts, sleep apnea. How serious these diseases are?

First of all let me say that I have Myalgic Encephalitis or CFIDS; Lyme Disease; Hasimoto's disease; Pulmonary Embolii and hart arthimia (spelling?), tooth decay, cataracts, sleep apnea; and obesity. I had surgery and the surgeons removed as many of the pulmonary embolii as possible; yet they advised me that there were still some left. For the heart arthymia I had cardio conversion which has caused my heart to be in sync for over 2 years and I have not had any irregularities since the cardio conversion. I have had myalgic encephilitis for 28 years but never recovered from it - the same for the Lyme disease and Hashimotos. I have had almost all of the "ectomies" - appendectomy; tonsillectomy; and possibly last, but not least a total hysterectomy was performed about 20 years ago. Before I had the pulmonary embolii removed I was short of breath and yet after two surgeries to remove as many as possible, I am still short of breath to about the same degree. I guess I would like to know hoe serious these diseases are and what is the short-term and long-term prognosis of my conditions and what kind of treatment plans are available. Thank You..
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 hours later

I will take the prognosis separately for each disease.

Pulmonary emboli seem to be a cause of concern in your case. The mortality rate is 30% and anticoagulation can reduce it to 8%. Research has shown the following:
1) when diagnosed and adequately treated, Pulmonary embolism is an uncommon cause of death
2)It recurs in only a minority of properly treated patients
3)most deaths are from the underlying disease or cause
4)Mortality shows poor correlation with the anatomic size of lesions.

Most pulmonary emboli may resolve spontaneously, only some may organize to produce residual obstruction and can lead to resultant pulmonary hypertension in the long run. Prompt medical care, underlying cardiopulmonary reserve and the size of pulmonary embolus determine prognosis.
Medical care is usually aimed at reducing the emboli. It includes anti-coagulation, chronic fatigue syndrome. It may stay as it is or it may develop into other neurological conditions like multiple sclerosis. These conditions then have their own prognosis. Since you have it for a long time, I think it will not cause much problems. Medicines can greatly help improve the symptoms of fatigue.

Lyme disease is an infection and can be managed with antibiotics. In some it can lead to chronic Lyme disease.

Hashimotos thyroiditis usually needs long term thyroid hormone replacement. The symptoms can be managed accordingly.

Heart arrhythmias can be many types. Prognosis may vary for each type.

Hope I addressed your concerns.

Dr Vaishalee Punj