Have Mediterranean fever. Can someone my age get this disease? No pain or any other symptoms

I'm a 51 years old and had a fever over 38C for the last three month. Did an extensive blood work and CT scan and everything came negative. Finally I've been diagnosed as Mediterranean fever. Given the fact the I'm originally from Egypt and have a family history of the disease.
My question is can some one in my age get this disease at that age? also I do not have pain or any other symptom?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. You're absolutely right in mentioning that Familial Mediterranean fever is commonly seen in the young and it is rare to see someone after 40 years of age to suffer from the same.

However, around 5% of the people can still have the same after 40 years of age. Overall, it is twice more common in males than females. The fever is usually intermittent, comes and goes, and lasts for 2-3 weeks.

There are severe muscle aches and can be associated with pain abdomen and pain chest.

It is highly uncommon to see someone with Mediterranean fever and no pains. Usually, no pains means no Mediterranean fever. There is no specific tests to diagnose Mediterranean Fever. Please do consult your physician for the same to look for some other possibilities for the cause of fever.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.