Have MS. Take gabapentin. Feeling stiff. Feeling tired, slow and having painful movements. What to do?

Hi. My question is in the general neurological range, if even possible. I have MS. I get around.iagnosed 2 yrs ago. I take gabapentin 400mg 3 x daily. I feel stiff on and off during the day. 'Soupy' weather makes me stiff. Anything I need know more about this? 64 yr old woman. Look 2 yrs younger so folks say. Used to do heavy duty aeroics, very athletic. Get around, but movement problems, panful, slow, tire easily. Want to get past all that. I know. It is what it is. I put myself in college; campus in NJERSEY. I live in Brklyn. So I really hae to push to get all that travel done promptly. Thx much.
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later

I have gone through details provided by you. Diagnosis of MS is not confirmed and you need thorough evaluation including a good clinical history and examination, MRI of brain and spinal cord, biochemical profile and evoked potential studies. If it has been done then its ok for diagnosis of possible MS

If disease is not active you need symptomatic treatment e.g. antispasticity treatment (if spasticity is present). A short course of small dose of antidepressant often help if given after evaluation by your doctor. Another thing, get your prescription of gabapentin revised by your neurologist. I am sure you have been given medicine for high cholesterol as well.

Dr Pratap.