Have MDS, will undergo ATG treatment. Taking Danazol, cyclosporin. Safe to undergo ATG at this age?

Question
Hello Doctor,

My father in law is 69 yrs old and was diagnosed as having MDS in July 2011. He will be undergoing ATG treatment in December 2012.
He was earlier on the following
a. Danozol and Cyclosporin (2 months)
b. Thalidomide and Cyclosporin (4 months)
c. Danozol (5 months)
d. EPO (3 months)

Barring MDS, he has no other health issues. Do you think it is safe to undergo ATG at his age?

Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later
Hi AAAAA,

Yes, it is safe to undergo ATG at his age, supposing that he is cardiovascular stable, because you have mentioned that he has no other health issues.

No immediate or delayed toxicity related with age resulted from ATG treatment has been recorded.

I recommend you to encourage him undergoing ATG treatment and judging on the base of his earlier treatments, you both should be very satisfied with his hematologist work.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have MDS, will undergo ATG treatment. Taking Danazol, cyclosporin. Safe to undergo ATG at this age? 24 hours later
Dear Dr Oana,

Thanks for your response. I feel much assured now. I will keep this discussion open, just in case I have any follow up questions.

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 22 hours later

Pleased to know that you found my answers useful. I will be glad to assist you in future should you need it (God forbidden).

If you wish that I should answer your queries, please leave your queries on ask this doctor link:
WWW.WWWW.WW