Have Lupus and Sjogrens. History of mycoplasma Pneumonia with pleurisy. Having pain in elbow and shoulder. Suggestions?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, I am 37 year old female with Lupus and Sjogrens. I have history of mycoplasma Pneumonia 4yrs ago with Pleurisy, Pericarditis of and on over past 3 years, had a Cerebral Venous Trombosis/Stroke 2 summers ago and in March I fell and had to have ankle surgery. Currently am having my usual Lupus/Sjogrens symptoms (joint pain, muscle pain, severe fatigue, swollen glands, etc) but am having a totally different symptom- for the past 6-7 weeks have been having worsening pain deep within my upper right arm between my elbow and shoulder. It feels very similiar to what I had in my left arm when I had pneumonia and pleurisy they caled it referred pain. This pain now is worsening and hurts more over time. I have not injured my arm or shoulder in any way. I do have more shortness of breath than usual and more fatigue than usual. Had my recent blood tests I get to monitor for meds (methotrexate, plaquenil and Cellcept) and my WBC was low (which it has been for a while and my doctor says is ok given my Lupus) and only other thing wrong was my Creatinine was abnormal. She said my lungs sounded clear. What could this arm pain be? It doesn't hurt contstantly, only randomly and always hurts when I am laying flat and worst upon waking. I have to move my Rt. arm with my left to get it to move and the pain deep within arm (not muscular at all- feels like inside the bone) is excruciating. Please help.

Also, I did not have a fever at doctor visit.
Thank you,
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The deep severe pain in the right arm that you are having could be related to bone pain due to Lupus. This could also be related to a decrease in vitamin D3 levels. Since the chest is clear, pleurisy is less likely.
You can do a hot fomentation in the area of pain and see if it helps.
In case the pain is persistent then do consult an orthopedician for proper examination to find out the cause.
Meanwhile you can start a calcium XXXXXXX diet and vitamin D3 supplements.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.