Have LPR detected early. Can I lead a normal life? Will I suffer later in life?

Pulmonologist
Question
If I have LPR and it is detected early can I expect to leave a relatively normal life and will I suffer from it later in life?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. LPR or laryngopharyngeal reflux refers to retrograde flow of gastric contents to the upper aero-digestive tract, which causes a variety of symptoms, such as cough, hoarseness, and asthma, among others.

2. Management of LPR is a bit difficult when compared to the more common GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease).

3. Early detection definitely leads to a better management.

4. Medical management consists of proton pump inhibitors and the duration of treatment is variable.

5. Behavioral changes including weight loss and dietary changes are beneficial.

6. You need to strictly control your diet. Avoid spicy, oily food. Avoid junk food. Eat frequent and small meals. Do not be empty stomach for then 4 hours in the day.

7. If you follow a healthy life style with medications, then you can definitely expect a relatively normal life style.

8. Recurrence later in the life is possible depending on your dietary habits and lifestyle.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB

Follow-up: Have LPR detected early. Can I lead a normal life? Will I suffer later in life? 1 hour later
Thanks for answering I am not sure I have it yet but I am very worried about and the causes later in life. I am going for tests next week and have not been diagnosed but have read so many horror stories on web. So far I have no breathing problems, cough wheezing etc just some mild symptoms I guess. Does the severity of it vary and if I take care of myself will I get a chronic coughing illness or something worse later in life. I am 35 years old and do have horrible allergies and had a sinus infection last year. Thanks for answering but I am worried sick about this.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 16 minutes later

Thanks for follow up.

I would like to tell you that GERD, GERD induced cough, LPR , UACS(upper airway cough syndrome), Rhinosinusitis with Post nasal drip with acute bronchitis have very subtle differences between them and are all of them more or less a part of the same spectrum.

And let me assure you that all these conditions can very well be treated and I have plenty of patients with them who are now completely asymptomatic on treatment.

The only important thing is that never neglect your symptoms. If you visit your physician early in the course of disease, believe me treatment will be satisfying for you.

You can also consult your physician regarding influenza and pneumococcal vaccinations to prevent respiratory infections which can potentially have an adverse effect on your condition.

As mentioned previously , with lifestyle modifications and proper medicines, you need not be worried at all. Remember stress is also one of the triggers in such condition.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB