Have IDD. Suspected haemochromatosis. Not feeling well. High SF level. Need guidance

Feb 2013

(female 58 years old) Have not been feeling well for some time. GP says sf too high, endocrinologist says iron count is a better gauge of problem. Can you advise please. IDD for 42 years hba1c 7.2 GP suspects haemochromatosis. Serum ferritin 406, iron in blood 14.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Even though serum ferritin is high (406), but in is an acute phase reactant means it may be elevated in any inflammatory diseases.

Serum ferritin is high, but high serum ferritin is seen in other conditions also like chronic alcohol consumption, nonalcoholic fatty liver diseases.

To confirm haemochromatosis, further investigations are required like liver biopsy and FerriScan-a MRI based test to measure the liver iron concentrations.

And blood can be tested for DNA study to look for HFE gene mutation.

Therefore I advise you to go for further evaluation by the FerriScan or Liver biopsy to confirm the diagnosis after consulting your doctor and taking his advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.