Have IBS, abdominal swelling, swollen muscles. Is it possible that this could be from IBS and constipation?

I have IBS. Lately, I see a medium size swelling in the upper ab area all the time. Sometimes larger than others. Look like the muscles are swollen. When I eat and the stomach starts to enlarge it pushes on these swollen areas and make them go into my ribs. It makes it very uncomfortble and my ribs sore. Is it possible that this could be from the IBS and the constipation?? I am eating oat XXXXXXX and heather's tummy fiber now. Start on magnesium today. Thanks had gall bladder removed in 1978 and hysterectomy in 1993.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question here.

From what you describe here, to me it sounds like you may have a ‘hernia’ - This may be either a para-umbilical hernia or an incisions hernia from your previous surgery.

One thing I would be fairly certain of is though that it is not in any way connected to your constipation.

Only by having it examined physically by a doctor will you be able to have a definitive diagnosis. You can be fairly confident that this is not going to turn out to be anything too nasty.

Hope this answers your query. Do accept the answer if you do not have any further queries.

Good luck and good health!
Follow-up: Have IBS, abdominal swelling, swollen muscles. Is it possible that this could be from IBS and constipation? 7 hours later
These swelling are under the bottom of both ribs. They are more in the upper region than lower by the belly button. It is almost like two muscles that broke from the ligaments and now just hang around until I move wrong or eat and they get pushed into my ribs.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 10 hours later
Hi there again.

Thank you for your follow up question.

Another possibility is that these swelling are lipoma.

I could tell you in five minutes what they are if I were to examine you physically. And so could any other doctor and that's what you need - physical examination by a doctor.

As I mentioned in my previous reply, I am fairly confident that they are not related to IBS or constipation, so you have nothing to be afraid of. But you owe it to yourself (by visiting a doctor) to have a proper diagnosis.

I hope that this helps and that you accept this advise.

Wish you good health.