Have I built up immunity to Viagra and Cialis after using above recommended dosage? Have ED issues.

Question
I've been taking Viagra and cialis for over 10 years and gradually had to increase dosages well above the recommended amounts. Recently, I've had 5 or six times where it doesn't work at all and or it starts to work and then quits working suddenly. it feels like I've built up an immunity even though i can't find any research showing that it is possible to have this happen with these drugs. I do not take any other meds except steroid nasal spray. I am 5'8", weigh 185, bp 130/74 urine tests came back neg for uti or prostate infection. Switched suppliers to actual local dr prescription to make sure Viagra and cialis were pure. I do not have diabetes or any other illness. I work out 5-6 times a week (lift weights(bench 325) and dance for card) and am in peak physical shape. Age 62 1/2. Do not eat fried food, red meat or fatty foods. No extra stress in life, until this. Started using Ed meds to enhance performance and avoid performance anxiety when I got back into dating after divorce. Have done cialis and Viagra together as many as 8 in a day. Now I have some real Ed issues. Been with the same woman for over 8 years. We are madly in love. Have seen local gp. Have had testosterone test last week. Waiting for results. Tried muse and trimix...works, but have still have some difficulties. Also, tried nasal pt 141 with limited success. Questions: 1. Have I built up an immunity to these meds? If I have built up immunity, can i eventually go back to using Viagra and cialis? And if so how do I do this. This is my main concern as it worked so well for me. I know I probably abused it because it was such a boost. 2. Could there be another explanation that would explain this issue? 3. Could nasal spray or eating soy products create this problem?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 21 hours later

So far I have not seen any authentic report showing that someone can develop immunity to this molecule (Viagra and Cialis). You may as well go back to using them.

But I would like to advice you that please don't take any medicine above the recommended dosage.

You should also understand that libido and performance in bed also decreases with age which is a part of natural aging process.

Please wait for your testosterone report and if it’s low, your local doctor can start hormonal therapy.

Fluticasone nasal spray or eating soy products are not known to create this problem.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Have I built up immunity to Viagra and Cialis after using above recommended dosage? Have ED issues. 1 hour later
Is it possible that my body just shut down it's response to the Viagra because I over did it? I did try going back but my body just stopped responding. In fact, it seemed worse than before I took it. Even if there is no authentic report of this occurrence, if this does appear to be the issue, what is the best course of action if you have built up an immunity? Is there a recommended period of time to not take the medication to try to have it work again.

Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 12 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back.

You can get your penile Doppler study done along with serum testosterone and attach them to this query so that I will get a better idea regarding your problem and will be able to guide you better.

You can try your method of not using viagra/cialis for sometime but as I have already mentioned, unfortunately there is no clear evidence regarding developing immunity to a particular medicine.

Hope my answer has been helpful to you. Do write back to me if you further queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have I built up immunity to Viagra and Cialis after using above recommended dosage? Have ED issues. 3 hours later
Test free, 9-30 ng/dl 16
Test 240-950, Ng/dl 661

Will ask about Doppler. What will that tell us?

Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 16 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Your testesterone level seems normal; but please check the reference range of the lab where the test was done (reference range for testosterone levels varies from lab to lab).

Penile doppler study can tell about the blood flow in erect position. Your doctor can guide you through the test.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept this answer if you do not have any more queries.