Have Hepatic lesions compatible with cysts. MRI showed oblong parapelvic cyst of kidney. Have multiple scattered hepatic cysts in liver. Cure?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have a MRI report done that says I have Hepatic lesions compatible with cysts. When the MRI was done they also found an oblong parapelvic cyst of the lower left kidney measuring up to 2.8cm They also say there are a couple of subcentimeter probable cysts of each kidney. I have known for 7 years I have multiple scattered hepatic cysts in the liver. I am concerned because this is the first time anything has shown up in the kidney. My father died of kidney cancer about 7 years ago and that was the time they showed multiple liver cysts when I did my colonscopy then
This MRI was done because there were cysts showing up on the liver when they did a CT virtual colonscopy
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it doesnt seem to be malignant.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.

First, fortunately CT scan is pretty accurate in distinguishing cystic lesion from solid tumors and carcinomas. it is not 100%(it is about 95%) but you dont have to be concerned that cancerous cyst will be misdiagnosed. Malignant lesions show rapid grow and cause specific urination difficulties and findings with lumbar pain.

So you need not to worry so much because kidney cyst is a very common kidney disease and its incidence will increase along with age. More than 50% people aged >50 has some kidney cyst. Of course, considering you fathers disease, you should be more cautious but this is very likely just simple benign renal cyst.

2.8cm cyst is considered to be small one(<3cm) and it usually does not cause any symptoms or discomforts. all you need is regular follow-up checks to make sure the illness condition is stable and that there is no rapid cyst growth.

if the cyst continue to enlarge, it will oppress the surrounding tissues and cause pains in the back and abdomen or it can cause hydronephrosis, fever, urinary tract infections etc. In such cases it can be surgically removed with minimal complications.
So just repeat ultrasound or ct in 6-12 months and see cyst progression.
Liver cysts are similar issue,treatment is no required till it is asymptomatic.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards