Have HbA1C comes between 7.5 to 8 despite of walking and diet control. Taking januvia, amaryl 2 mg tds and glycomate. Suggestions?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
My fasting & pp are generally in normal range but HbA1C comes between 7.5 to 8 despite diet control, walking & medication, i am currently on januvia 100 mg Od, amaryl 2 mg tds, glycomate 500 mg thrice a day. My lipid profile is within the normal range as also TSH & kidney functions are normal. Please suggest how to fix a1c levels
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later

HbA1C levels indicate the average 3-month level of blood sugar.

Since your HbA1C levels are slightly above the normal limit, you should do more to control it.
It is good that your fasting blood sugar and other parameters are within normal limits.

I would suggest you that you should go for Aerobic Exercises along with Eccentric Resistance Exercises. This combination will help in improving your HbA1C levels. You can consult with an exercise/gym trainer for that.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Regards. Thanks.
Follow-up: Have HbA1C comes between 7.5 to 8 despite of walking and diet control. Taking januvia, amaryl 2 mg tds and glycomate. Suggestions? 26 minutes later
Thank you for replying my query. Can you please tell about the following things:
1. What is the reason for high level of HbA1C.
2. What are the health hazards of having high level of HbA1C.
3. Can you elaborate on the specific exercises and diet required to control high level of HbA1C?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for your response.

1. High level of HbA1C can be due to uncontrolled diabetes or if there was change in diet or medication during last 6 weeks.

2. Very high levels of HbA1C can result in following medical complications :-
-Eye diseases involving retina.
-Heart diseases.
-Kidney diseases.
-Delayed wound healing.

3. You can consult an gym instructor for aerobic and resistance exercise as exercises can be planned according to the physical structure and capability of the patient after getting him/her clinically examined.

You should continue following diabetic diet. Following should be avoided- carbohydrate XXXXXXX foods like sugar, potato, rice, etc. A dietician can plan a personalised diet for you based on your calorie requirement, the type of occupation/physical activity and based on your blood sugar pattern. It would be worthwhile to consult one and get your diet planned.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further doubts, please mention.

Regards. Thanks.