Have Hashimotos disease. Taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. What is the treatment for high thyroid antibodies?

I have Hashimotos disease. At present, the hypothyroidism is being under treated by synthroid. My thyroid antibodies are high. What is tgevtypicsl treatment for that?
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

If you have already been put on Synthroid, this certainly means that other tests must have been done to determine whether you deserve to be on treatment like the the specific antibody testing and TSH have been done. These tests are important to determine the doses, how synthroid should be tit-rated to produce a maximum desired therapeutic effect and for follow up to ascertain the success of the initiated treatment. Synthroid remains the best treatment in Hashimoto's disease, especially when taken in appropriate doses and correctly.

Another important issue is a complete yearly review of the thyroid by your endocrinologist to exclude the presence of a nodule. The presence of any nodule during the management of Hashimoto's disease deserves an aspiration and histopathologic examination to exclude a malignancy.

To conclude, I suggest you continue with your Synthroid as prescribed by your doctor, and undergo as normal a yearly thyroid function tests assessment an examination by an endocrinologist.

Thanks and hope this helps. Awaiting further questions in case you need more help. Wishing you the best of health.

Best regards,

Bain LE, MD.