Have HSV1, taking Valtrex. Am I still contagious?

I have hsv 1 and take valtrex at the onset of an outbreak...this last time I still got a blister.. It's just recently healed but I don't want my boyfriend to get infected... I don't know if he's ever had a cold sore or not ...I don't want him to get infected and I don't want to kiss him and have oral sex and have hsv1 on my genitals or I still contagious....can we still kiss or only if he has had HSv 1??? I took valtrex for the past 7 days
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 2 hours later
Hi Dear,

I understand your concern.

Even you have taken valtex still there is small but definite chance of spreading HSV by kissing.

HSV is present in saliva and in mucous membrane even when no blisters are present.

It is known as asymptomatic shedding.

Its better to confirm with your boyfriend whether he has history of cold sore or not.

If he also has history of cold sore than you can kiss him.

Chances of spread are more when active lesions of herpes are present.

So even when not active HSV may spread through kissing.

Hope Ive made myself clear.

Any further clarification if you need , I will be available.