Have HBP. Numbness and tingling sensation on tongue and legs. MRI done. What's wrong?

Hi Doctor,

My mother is 49 years old. She complained about numbness of tongue & both her legs which lasted for few minutes. After few hours, she mentioned that she has developed tingling feel & slight numbness in the tongue. She has hypertension/high BP. She is taking Telma am and static 10 tab everyday. She has Fatty Liver & arthritis too. She has been regularly doing yoga from past three months.

We consulted a neurologist & a cardiologist. They recommended to get a MRI Brain( Angio - Neck + low) done.

Impression/ Findings of the MRI : Focal FLAIR hyperintensities in periventricular white matter, centrum semiovale and left frontal sub-cortical region - small vessel ischemic changes.
* No other significant abnormality is noted.
*MR Angiogram through Neck and Circle of Willis appears normal.

What does the above mean ? What is TIA in MRI ?

She feels very tired off late & complains of headache as well.

Look forward to your advise..

Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I have seen the details provided by you.

1) TIA is abbreviation for "Transient Ischemic Attack" which in simple way means transient decrease in blood flow to a part resulting in symptoms for few minutes to few hours, recovers spontaneously and leaves no deficit. This is not a MRI finding and MRI is needed to rule out other causes which are responsible for transient deficit.

2) I am sure additional tests (like complete blood counts, ESR, sugar, creatinine and lipid profile etc) have been done and they are normal.

3) For the symptoms of tiredness and headache- please send the details and whether they are recent in onset?

4) The current treatment appears alright.