Have Graves disease and panic disorder. Numbness and wet feeling subsides only after taking Valium. Am concerned

Excellent

ENT Specialist
Question
44 year old male. Been on Ativan on and off for 22 years since being treated with I131 for Graves Disease, after developing panic disorder. Stopped Ativan 2 months ago, and started on 5 mg Valium daily since. Been experiencing on and off numbness in right hand more at baby finger, and also wet feeling in right foot since about the time I started Valium. If I don't take valium I get these symptoms but when I take it, they seem to subside. Since about 2 weeks, getting itchy red area in outside of right bicep just above elbow. This also seems to subside when I take the valium. I am concerned, need suggestions. Otherwise feel fine
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Valium (Diazepam) and Ativan (Lorazepam) belong to a group of drugs known as Benzodiazepines.

2. The Benzodiazepine class of drugs are generally safe to use. However they are notorious for dependence, tolerance and withdrawal side effects.

3. The paraesthesias (altered sensations such as the numbness and wet feeling) may be due to rebound withdrawal effects due to intermittent Valium use.

4. You should get the itchy patch on your arm shown to a skin specialist or you may upload a close-up image here.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have Graves disease and panic disorder. Numbness and wet feeling subsides only after taking Valium. Am concerned 1 hour later
Thanks for the info. The doctor about my throat condition was bang on with his advice, and yours makes sense. I submitted pics of my arm, and suggest that all the anxiety about my throat pushed me to the ativan and valium, and on other meds in the past I got itchiness at this same point on my body.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later

Thank you for writing back and sharing the images.

1. This skin rash and itchiness is due to Benzodiazepines.

2. There are more than three dozen medications in this class of medicines.

3. Discuss with your physicians regarding trial of other alternative medications to reduce the side effects that you are experiencing.

Regards.