Have GERD with foul smelling urine. Took lanseprazol. Did urine test. Sign of nephritis?

i may have nephritis(?)hello. i am 34 y.o. male with gerd, have been taking a ppi for 2 years. About 8 months ago i noticed darker yhan usual, foul smelling urine especially in the morning. recently my kidneys started hurting. no other symptoms. my doc did.a urine test chemical and biology both negative. i stopped taking the lanseprazol for a day and the pain receded but the acid increased which tells me that it may be from the ppi. if so, and i stop taking the ppi which may have caused kidney damage and/or nephritis, can my kidneys heal themselves or do i need treatment?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 18 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Nephritis is diagnosed when certain investigative parameters are met. As mentioned by you the urine is normal but you have not mentioned about the blood tests.

Urine may smell foul for a number of reasons and the morning urine may be concentrated and more smelly which seems to be with you. Hence I suggest that you need not worry. To clear your doubts you can discuss with your doctor and get a kidney function test done.

Kidney involvement with Lansoprazole has not been commonly reported in literature.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal