Have GERD with a hiatus hernia, and acid reflux. Any thoughts on LINX procedure to fix hiatus hernia?

Critical Care Specialist
I HAVE GERD with a hiatus hernia, and acid reflux, my last endoscope was 4 and a half years ago, - should my gullet be routine d checked or not?

if so i dont like endoscopes where can i get the eso pill cam done on the NHS in the UK any areas?

any thoughts on the new LINx procedure to fix hiats hernia??
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 2 hours later

As long as you are on the reflux medications which I believe would be one of the proton pump inhibitor (PPI) family like omeprazole daily and it has been working fine with no recurring reflux. It is not a must to redo the endoscope again unless new symptoms arise.

However if you are asking about the eso pill cam it can be done on the NHS system in UK. You can call 0207 580 5467 or email YYYY@YYYY to book it.

The linx procedure so far has been very effective. As per the studies conducted it has eliminated the need for PPI in up to 90% of patients who did it to show its effectiveness up to 2 years so far

I hope I answered all your questions today. Let me know if you need any more information.

Hope you get better soon

Follow-up: Have GERD with a hiatus hernia, and acid reflux. Any thoughts on LINX procedure to fix hiatus hernia? 3 hours later

when you say new symptoms arise what do you mean??
i get allot of gas belching, and sometimes it feels i have something stuck in my throat but wen i burp it goes, so would this mean then i need another scope, also how long does barrets take develop, if my gullet was ok 5 years ago should it still be ok, i was told barrets can take upto 10 years to develop
Answered by Dr. Ghaly 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

Barret can take long time to develop in years; but luckily it is rare.

Doing another endoscope will not hurt. But I just do not see it necessary just for the gas belching... When I am saying new symptoms I mean, acute pain, vomiting blood, abdominal rigidity or tenderness to touch in the stomach area, etc.

Hope it is clear now. Should you have any other queries, I will be available for help
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.