Have GERD, truncal obesity and pain in shoulder blade area. Should I visit ER?

Hello. I have pain in my left shoulder blade area, under and around my left flank - intercostal area.
Also, i have truncal obesity. When I sit, my pain increases under my front left rib cage. I have GERD.
I am thinking about an ER visit.
The Pain is excerbated by eating and often feels like a cutting pain. When I move my shoulder up, it hurts. Sometimes, eating dulls it , too. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Based on the symptoms you have, I suspect the pain you have to be due to acid peptic disease (GERD).The symptoms you have are typically seen in ulcerative gastritis or esophagitis forming ulcers in the inner mucous lining.

You may go ahead with your decision of visiting the ER. Do get an Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, which provides images of the inner side of the esophagus and stomach. This helps to confirm the diagnosis, stage the disease and plan necessary management.

Meanwhile do take antacids like Gelusil with every meal and Tab Prilosec OTC once daily before breakfast early in the morning. This reduces the basal acid output and prevents worsening of the condition. If you are already on an antacid, do continue the same until you get the endoscopy done to plan a better management.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.