Have GERD and IBS. On medication. Rashes appeared in groin area. How to get rid of this?

Persistent rash?I am a healthy 21 year old male with no health problems except GERD and IBS. No prescribed Rx, however take Omeprazole OTC 20.6mg daily. I've had this rash-like symptom for about a month now. It's mostly in my groin area, itching seems to get worse at night. I'm a Medical Assistant/CAN II and thought first it was scabies. However, it's only in the groin area and has not spread in the other common areas that scabies generally goes to. Not in between fingers, toes, or bend of arms/knees. Very small red bumps noted, however they're small in number. Only a few here and there. I read online that scabies die in Aloe Vera, menthol, and sulfa creams. I would say it's helped, however problem persists. Last night it took 20mg of Cetirizine Hydrochloride and 75mg of Diphenhydramine to stop the itching and hives. Menthol stops the itching, however I must reapply after a few hours. I need relief stat! Please advise!
Posted Sun, 16 Dec 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
From your description,it seems to be a fungal infection called as TINEA CRURIS however it could be a CANDIDA infection called as INTERTRIGO.
The best way for the diagnosis is to go for microscopy and culture of the skin scrapping of the groin area.
Once the diagnosis is made,a proper anti fungal medicine like ITRACONAZOLE or KETOCONAZOLE can be applied locally for couple of weeks.
Some times oral anti fungal medicines are also used in cases where infection is present for longtime as in you.
Since fungus grows in moist and warm areas,you must keep your groin area dry by wearing cotton under wears and keep the area airy by sleeping near fan in the night.
Please consult a dermatologist and get yourself diagnosed properly.however pending your visit to dermatologist,you may use above mentioned topical anti fungals medicines as they are effective in both TINEA as well as INTERTRIGO.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have GERD and IBS. On medication. Rashes appeared in groin area. How to get rid of this? 7 minutes later
I thought fungal would make it spread my scratching. This isn't spreading. Also is there anything OTC to do for this?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
It is not necessary that fungal infection would spread to other parts of body.
You may apply 1% local emulsion of TERBINAFINE by the name of LAMISIL twice a day.