Have GERD. Started chest pain. All cardiac test clear. What is causing this?

I have had every cardiac test possible and all is thank God clear. I still have these continuous chest pain I also have gerd. I also have a-fib and all I do is worry. Do you think this is aniexty because within the last 7 months I have been to the emergency room at least 12 times and I always get the same all clear?
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

You have not said anything about the nature (details) of pain!

If ‘every cardiac test possible’ is clear, then your heart is clear!

I presume you had TMT, Holter, ECHOcardiography and lab tests – Thyroid, electrolytes and lipids. Did you have thallium Stress EKG or CT angio / or angio itself?

Atrial fibrillation probably is diverting your attention to the heart. Is it not controlled? If rhythm control is not possible, they should have achieved rate control. In today’s technology, EPS (Electro Physiologial Studies) can localise the focus, ablate the cause and achieve the goal.
You are young and obviously, there is no associated problem apart from GERD – you have to do well.

Reduce your weight. Are you obese?
Stop tobacco and alcohol. Are you smoking or drinking?

If you worry and ‘think this is anxiety’ – the wisest option will be to see a Psychiatrist. Seeing a Psychiatrist does not mean, it is a psychiatric problem – he is better qualified to assess from this viewpoint and can rule in and treat / or exclude the issue. Fear of disease may be worse than the disease itself. Develop positive attitude. Why should one be afraid of pain? Thank God - it has given an opportunity to investigate and get treated! Delve XXXXXXX in your job; develop hobbies; associate with friends and family – you will have diversion and all will be well.

A planned visit to the cardiologist can sort out a host of problems than several visits to the Emergency Department.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: Have GERD. Started chest pain. All cardiac test clear. What is causing this? 54 minutes later
I had the stress test and i had a catheterzation in which in both test they found nothing and they didn't say that i had any blockage. Yes the A-fib is controlled and it comes and goes every couple of years. I don't smoke or drink or do illegal drugs but i am over weight. I do have a cardiologists and he said that i don't have anything to worry about now but i must do better with my health in order not to have problems when i get older. Thank you for your answer and i just wants some closure. The pain is a sharp stabbing pain that is in the same spot all the time most of the time is near the arm pit or around the nipple area. Once again thank you for your answer.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 6 hours later

It is ‘heart’ening to know that catheterisation found nothing. It is the gold standard, against which other investigations are compared.
Your personal history is excellent indeed.
Reduce your weight; it has several benefits – not only ‘medical’ but otherwise also – lower the weight, more handsome is the person!
This pain most likely is muscular – there are a few muscles in the chest wall. Your posture at work or sleep could stress them and prod to spasm. Try sleeping on one side - the opposite side! Try warm compress, yoga and/or relaxation exercises.
Don’t bother about the problem in your old age – the very problem will also grow old or vanish! You are well. You will be well.

God bless you