Have GERD. Is it safe to have food containing omega-3 fatty acid?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I have gastreoreflux disease and was told that I shouldn't drink coffee, eat chocolate, anything that has caffeine, fried froods, and spicy or acidic foods. I know that omega-3 fatty acids are essential in treating GERD. I wonder if any of the foods that I listed above interact with omega-3 fatty acids? thanks bye
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 days later

Thanks for writing in

Your knowledge about your disease is appreciable

It is not the Omega 3 fatty acids interactions but the inherent quality of these foods that they stimulate more acid production - is the reason you are asked to avoid them

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Have GERD. Is it safe to have food containing omega-3 fatty acid? 16 hours later
do omega-3 fatty acids help with gastreoreflux disease? thanks bye
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later

Thanks for your followup

There is no documented evidence suggesting the role of Omega-3 fatty acids in GERD

There are controversial statements so better to keep away if not essential

Though yogurt with high contents of Omega 3 fatty acids is known to help some patients in dietery form

Hope this helps

If you need any clarification do write back
Wishing you a speedy recovery