Have GERD, Gastritis and h.pylori positive. What fluid and food can I take?

hello. long story, short. I have GERD, Gastritis and h.pylory positive.

Specifically, What else other than water and non/low fat milk can I drink that is not acidic or irritate my stomach and/or make my symptoms worse?

What fruits can I eat?

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Head Bed elevation, gas foods, chocolate,low coff

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Avoiding heavy fat diets is already a big important step. Other measures like elevating the head of the bed, quitting smoking for those who do smoke and remaining upright for at least three hours after eating can significantly reduce symptoms.

Reduce the intake of gas containing foods (eg Coca cola). Chocolate, alcohol, coffee, excessive onion and peppermint intake do aggravate symptoms in some patients. So do the best you can to avoid such foods. Other foods that do not cause any reasonable symptoms, low in fat , alkaline containing like milk could be of immense help.

It might be necessary for you to get a good fibroscopy (endoscopy), especially when asymptomatic. This shall help in classifying the pathology as minor, moderate or severe. This is important in adapting the type of drugs and the duration of drugs to be prescribed. The combination used and duration of treatment are a direct function of symptom free periods.

In your case in particular, with a positive H. Pylori test, it is prudent to follow the 7 day standard H . Pylori eradication plan, in case you have not done so yet. This involves Generally Metronidazole/Amoxicillin/Omeprazole. In case you have done so, based on the gravity of the lesions, drugs to reduce acid secretion should be prescribed either alone or in combinations. Generally these are, Proton Pump Inihibitors shall Ompeprazole, which of course have the most long lasting and effective long term benefits, Anti - Hsitamine Class 2 Inhibitors and Antacids.

Lifestyle modifications are of utmost importance. But should however, be added to the clinical and endoscopic findings to obtain more long lasting results.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD