Have G6PD condition. Have tooth pain. Suggest safe pain killer. Symptoms of G6PD reaction?

Dear doc,
I am 30 year old man with G6Pd condition. Due to which I am very cautious in taking medicine. Pls let me know exactly which medicines are to be avoided in G6pd and which are safe.
Also pls suggest a safe pain killer for G6pd as I have bad pain after tooth extraction.
Also let me know if Combiflam and augmentin is safe or not. Further what are systems of G6pd reaction and treatment for the same.

Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

Hello and you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

Please see the following link for medications which are safe to take in the setting of your deficiency. There is a link on the same site which will show you medications which you should avoid.

You need to avoid Tylenol or ibuprofen. Therefore combiflam should also be avoided. Augmentin should be safe for a short period of time.

If you have serious pain, contact your physician for possible prescription pain medication such as codeine.

There are many possible symptoms of a reaction including fatigue, fever, shortness of breath and rapid heart rate. Generally - withdrawing the cause of the reaction will lead to resolution. If the reaction is severe a transfusion may be needed.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr Galamaga
Follow-up: Have G6PD condition. Have tooth pain. Suggest safe pain killer. Symptoms of G6PD reaction? 4 hours later
Dear Doc, Thankyou very much for ur valuable revert.

Please let me know is there any natural cure for G6pd and is it a life threatening condition by any chance.

Does this type of blood deficiency lead to any problem of our body organs.( Asking bec I had jaundice 3 times since birth and have simple cyst on liver) also had typhoid twice.

Also heard that patients with G6pd are somewhat are immune to malaria. Is this true
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your follow-up question.

There is no natural cure for this deficiency. It is generally not life-threatening as long as you can maintain avoidance of those products and medications which can exacerbate damage to your red blood cells.

It is thought that some types of this deficiency may have a protective effect against malaria. You should not assume however that you have full protection against malaria.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Have G6PD condition. Have tooth pain. Suggest safe pain killer. Symptoms of G6PD reaction? 2 days later
Dear doc,
As you know that I am quite worried about popping medicines due to g6pd. Pls advise whether the below one is safe to take. Its given by my doctor as I am having pain and swelling in my gums due to wizdom tooth extraction 3 days ago.
Also very imp that is homeopathy safe to use in g6pd?
Augpen LB 625 twice after food.
Metrogyl 400 Thrice after food
Thankyou so much! With this I end my worries.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 14 hours later
Hello again,

These two medications should be safe for you to take as prescribed by your dentist.

Regarding homeopathic medicines these are not standardized and I would avoid using any homeopathic medicines in light of your condition.

Dr. Galamaga