Have Factor V Leiden mutation and cannot take birth control. Had sex and don't want to get pregnant. Suggest?

Mar 2013
Hello Doctor,
I am 21 years old and I have Factor V disorder. Therefore, I can't use birth control bills. Right now, I have sex with my boyfriend but I do not want to be pregnant right now. We use a condom, but I want to ask about Plan B bills if I can use them or it would be XXXXXXX
Thank You
Posted Sat, 21 Sep 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

In patients with Factor V Leiden mutation, the risk of thrombotic events is related to the dose of oestrogen present in the contraceptive pills.

Oestrogen containing pills have Risk grading of 4 by the WHO (World Health Organization ) that is they are totally contraindicated. Emergency contraceptives however contain ONLY progesterone, and hence are generally presumed safe for use by women with this disorder.
The risk grading is 2, that is the benefits outweigh any potential risks.

If you want to totally avert any risks, do not take ANY pills, as you have already used a condom and are protected.

All the best
Please feel free to ask any further follow up questions, I would be happy to address them.