Have F Factor V Leiden deficiency on one side. Had emergency colostomy. Blood count is low. Anything wrong with me?

Nov 2013

Hello. I am 42, F, Factor V Leiden deficiency on only one side, my dad's. I have many, many health issues from a botched surgery at the end of '09.( went in for hysterectomy, colon was cut I laid there 4 days before anything was done so I lost 21 in of colon, I was severely septic had a emergency colostomy, lost half of my rectum/vagina due to a abscess from dissected , rotted colon being left inside my abdomen this led to a severe never ends. (sorry for the medical history) In August 2011 approximately 2 weeks after a minor shoulder surgery, I had a stroke. I have lots of short term memory issues, my tongue is numb and so is the side of my mouth and face. When I get tired from work or whatnot, I have to make sure I annunciate because begin to slur. I was put on Plavix, 75mg 1x day. I am also on Xanax XR, Wellbutrin and Ambien.
1.This morning as I was getting ready for work, my nose began to bleed, pretty badly but I got it stopped within 15 mins or the same time, I noticed the taste of blood in my mouth. It is now1230 am and the gums are still oozing.
2.When I am tired, my vision wasn't great but got worse right after the stroke.
3.I feel so tired all the time and weak. My blood count was good in October after a follow up with my surgeon the removed to gallbladder with a scope. I developed a substantial amount of XXXXXXX bleeding. My Blood pressure was 62/40 at on of the worst points. I was transfused twice in the hospital and had to stay for a week, This took place on 7 Sept 2012. They told me it can take a while to feel like yourself but tis is crazy!
I'm so sorry for this taking so long but I thought those might be thing you may need to know in order to answer my questions.
Could the Plavix be making me tired or is it just the healing time from this last mess when I lost all that blood. MY blood count was a had been a 12 when I entered the hospital.
Also, are the bleeding gums and nosebleed anything to worry about? Thank you for taking the time to read this. XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query. I can understand your discomfort based on the description of your medical details.

The current bleeding is related to plavix (clopidogrel). It is a blood thinner and is known to increase the risk of bleeding.

Weakness is related to your illness and blood loss.

I would suggest you to take iron supplements and vitamin B12 supplements.

Decision to restart plavix can be made once your doctor has seen you and bleeding has completely stopped.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist