Have E.coli infection in bladder and cervix, painful joints and muscles. On cefoxitin, metformin. Advice?

OK...I'm a 60 year old female juggling losts of meds and illnesses and am concerned about possible drug interactions. This is my current medications cefoxitin injections 2x day,metformin 1000mf 2xday,tradjenta 5mg 1x day,amities 8mcg 2xday,prilosec 20mg 1,lorazapam 1mg 4x day phenegran 25mg as needed,gabbapentin 100mg 3xday,baclofem 10mg 3xday,monic 7.5mg 2xday, metroprolol 50mg 2xday,hycscyamine sul 0.125mg 1 as needed,ambient 12.5 as needed, hydrocodon5-325 as needed. I also take Zyrtec, probiotic, stool softener, magnesium,zinc.
My current illnesses are a e-coli infection in my bladder and cervix. Wide spread inflammation. Extremeley painful joints and muscles. Muscles have been spasming along with the pain. I have fluid building up in different places including my heart. Do not have great guidance with my meds or direction of my care.
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
The first thing to recognize is you cannot stop your diabetes medications. The phaechromocytoma causing hypertension must also be continued to prevent complications, especially at kidney level.
For the allergy, proper allergist opinion can be sought, and may be through immune suppression sessions, anti allergic drugs could be reduced or removed from your treatment package (This can permit removal of phernegan, Zyrtec).
The problem with the infection considering that you are diabetic should be treated with much seriousness. I suggest a urine culture and anti biotic sensitivity test be done, to get the actual strain causing it and prescribe the appropriate anti biotic to avoid resistance.
Its very appropriate for you to do tests for rheumatoid factor, lupus, and other Serum electrolytes for Calcium levels are also very important.
I suggest you get attached to a trusted internist or family physician, for a more critical follow up and management.
Life style modifications, exercise, feeding attitudes, rest, relaxation, feeling good are key issues in medical care.
Thanks and hope this helps,
Luchuo, MD.