Have Crohn's disease, no Mirena coil fitted, bloating, nausea, diarrhea, hip pain, lower back pain during periods. Is this normal?

Oncologist, Surgical
I have Crohns Disease, terminal ileal Crohns diagnosed 1988, Terminal Ileal resection 1990, my last colonoscopy showed no macroscopic nor Microscopic abnormalities in Nov 2010. Since I have had my two children 2005, 2007 and currently have no Marinha coil fitted my periods are becoming increasingly painful, ( I had no bleeding when I had coil fitted and felt great ) I suffer with bloating ( dr has put this down to indigestion )nausea, diarrhoea, pain in my hips ( constantly ) and lower back particularly during my menstural cycle and over the past 18 months I have been losing blood during my period only from my back passage. I have talked to specialists and doctors and they put it down to Crohns disease but I am sure this isn't right, Im constantly exhausted but I have put this down to having two children and working full time life etc etc but at the weekend I had pain from trapped wind that took my breath away for a few seconds, so so painful - this can't be normal? This pain happened just before my menstural cycle started. My periods have always been regular and only last 2 days but Im concerned about the bleeding from back passage which is definitely only during my period. I have also seen a specialist for such terrible pain in my pelvis and had an MRI scan which showed nothing. Can you suggest anything, I have another Dr appointment for this week but Im beginning to think he thinks Im looking for something, Im really not , I just feel so old and in pain and Im only 39!!!!
Posted Mon, 9 Jul 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 2 hours later

Sorry to hear that your problem is taking its toll on your daily life. Your history is very typical of endometriosis (when your menstrual epithelium is located at other locations and it bleeds during your periods). It is because of this reason that you are having bleeding through your back side every time during your periods. The pain is also suggestive of endometriosis, which can lead to incapacitating pelvic pain, back pain and nausea. It is very unlikely for Crohn's to give rise to these symptoms only during your menstrual periods. Another point in the favour of this condition is that you did not have these problems when you had a hormonal ring (merina) because it suppresses your periods.
My advise to you will be to visit a gynecologist immediately and get yourself examined thoroughly by her. Sometime this condition cannot be picked up on MRI and requires diagnostic laparoscopy (putting in a scope in your belly and visualising the problem).

Hope this gives a direction on how to pursue further. Please let me know if you still have any doubts.

Hope you get well soon.