Have Crohn's disease and IBS. Can I eat eggs, cheese and butter every day? How to gain weight?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My name is XXXXXXX. I am from India.
My age is 38 years, weight 50 kgs and height 5'11.
I have Crohns disease and slight irritable bowel syndrome also.
My question is
1) can I take eggs every day.
2) can i take cheese or butter every day.
3) My weight is not increasing. Please advice
will the above food flare up my condition
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 54 minutes later

I assume you have consulted a gastroenterologist and also surprised that you haven't been given a detailed nutritional advice since the last six years. If you haven't then I would advise you must consult a gastroenterologist doctor and also consult a dietician or nutritionist as per your doctors guidance.

There is no particular common diet recommended for all patients of ‘Crohns and Inflammatory bowel Syndrome’; as each individual have different symptoms and severity.

I would try to mention general guidelines and also answer your specific query.

The patient should ideally keep a food diary mentioning what he has eaten and whether that has triggered any symptoms like bloating gas, diarrhea or bleeding or constipation. Accordingly he should avoid those foods in future.
The common foods to avoid are coffee, alcohol, XXXXXXX fried foods, high fats like cheese / butter, etc. Avoid large meals and eat frequent small meals throughout the day.

Now, to answer your queries specifically:
1.     You can eat eggs everyday; if you have no symptoms after having it or you can try eating only the boiled egg white which has no fat.
2.     You should avoid too much of cheese and butter but it’s not necessary to completely stop it. So avoid eating it daily.
3.     For weight gain, you should heal your gut with diet and medicine first. I also encourage you to consult a nutritionist in your area for personalized diet.
Till then you should take multivitamins supplements and cod liver oil capsules as per your doctor’s advice.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Follow-up: Have Crohn's disease and IBS. Can I eat eggs, cheese and butter every day? How to gain weight? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.
Do you know a good nutritionist in Bangalore who can help me with the diet and weight gain.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

I am sorry I personally do not know any doctor or nutritionist in bangalore but you can use the find a doctor application on this website for the same. A better alternative is to consult a gastroenterologist or your family physician in your locality as they would know an experienced person who can deal with such issues.
You can also educate yourself through the website WWW.WWWW.WW for dietary modifications that need to be made for Crohns disease and IBS.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept the reply if you have no further queries.