Have Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Developed edema on legs and having slightly weekend left ventricle. Taking medication. Advsie?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have copd. Been on oxygen since last Dec. Recently have developed edema in legs, mostly left, but some right, too. Had a scope of heart Aug 1st and it showed a slightly weakened left ventrical. Was put on a lasic with potassium. Today it was suggested I start taking 5mg tabs of Lisinopril once a day. Does this make heart beat more efficiently or what is it for?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is effcient medicine for you

Detailed Answer:
Lisinopril is primarily used in treatment of hypertension, congestive heart failure, and heart attacks. You have first stage of congestive heart failure and this is right medicine for you which will improve your heart function and reduce leg swelling. It may also lower your blood pressure so you should measure your BP 2x a day and if there is hypotension less than 95/65, you should consult your doctor about switching the drug. COPD can cause weak heart,but COPD is not treated by lisinopril so you might need some other medicines for copd if symptoms become significant. I suggest to do pulmonary and ventilation tests to verify your lung volume and function. This will show is there need for medical treatment of copd. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. regards