Have Chronic fatigue syndrome.Taking gabapentin. Reason for having nerve pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a diagnosis of ME/CFS but a puzzling symptom that doesn't seem to fit. For many years, the more active I am, the more I suffer from muscle wasting in my lower legs. My calf muscles turn to flabby mush! This is accompanied by intense nerve pain (burning, tingling, shooting) for which I take Gabapentin -- and by debilitating fatigue and weakness. A period of rest allows my calf muscles to visibly rebuild, I feel stronger, the pain goes away. This cycle has been repeating for about 12 years and has completely changed my life. I'd love some suggestions! Thank you!
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The pain in the muscles on working can be due to muscle ischaemia, compromised blood supply to the area, myositis, etc.
You need to consult a neurologist for investigations like EMG so that proper diagnosis can be made for an early treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have Chronic fatigue syndrome.Taking gabapentin. Reason for having nerve pain? 11 hours later
Dear Dr. Tayal,

Thank you for answering my query. Do I understand you correctly that my muscle wasting, weakness and pain might stem from my cardiac issues...?

I have had cardiac testing that showed slightly lower than normal output from my heart and slightly lower O2 levels in blood. Also, when I did a cardiac test on a stationary bike, my legs grew so weak that the test was halted.

So could cardiac problems lead to actual wasting of muscles? (This happens over a period of about 4 days when I am more active than normal.)

Is there anything else I could look into such as a metabolic problem (due to my thyroid goitre)...I have wondered if protein metabolism is part of the problem ---that my body 'eats' its own muscles. But perhaps this could happen also due to lower O2 and cardiac output?

Thank you for any further advice you could give me.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain and wasting that you have is likely to be due to cardiac problem. The alteration in the protein metabolism is not likely to cause such reversible changes.
The lower levels of oxygen causes lactic acid production in the muscles causing the pain.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.