Have Cholesterol Count of 290. LDL: 172 and HDL:98. Taking Liptor. What diet should I follow?

Dear Dr., I have a Cholesterol Count of 290. LDL Cholesterol of 172 and HDL Cholesterol 98. My doctor is suggesting I start taking Lipitor. I am wondering if I can just change my diet and lower my cholesterol. I look forward to your response. XXXXX
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please provide details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected ma'm
Please provide following details for exact interpretation of your lipid profile.
1. If any of your blood relation had angina/heart attack? if yes at what age it started?
2. If you have high blood pressure? What is your usual blood pressure?
3. Do you smoke?
4. Do you suffer from stroke/ diabetes/ carotid artery disease/ peripheral arterial disease/ kidney disease/ Aortic aneurysm?
Answer to all of above will help in calculating your target LDL level and then we can discuss further about the requirement of drug therapy.
Waiting for your mail.
Follow-up: Have Cholesterol Count of 290. LDL: 172 and HDL:98. Taking Liptor. What diet should I follow? 9 minutes later
Dear Dr. Sukhvinder XXXXXXX Thank you for your response.
In response to your first question, my Father died of a heart attack at age 72. One heart attack only. I do have high blood pressure but it is treated with Benicar so I am usually 120/80. I have never smoked. I do not have any other symptoms. I am 5'6" tall' weight 125. I exercise several times a week. I feel great but I have just had a physical and my doctor wants to put me on Lipitor. I would prefer to change my diet if that would do it. What do you think?
I look forward to your response. XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Respected Ma'm
Thanks for the details.
1. You target LDL cholesterol level is 160 mg% as per ATP III, NCEP guidelines, (United states of America). You have 2 unfavorable (age & hypertension) and one favorable factor (HDL cholesterol >60 mg%) which we use in calculation of target LDL levels. Calculated 10 year risk for a cardiac event is ~3% (3 out of 100 people matching your profile will have a cardiac event in next 10 years).
2. A trial of life style modification for 6-12 weeks is recommended in patients with LDL cholesterol not more than 30 mg% extra of their target level. { In this group of patients, statin therapy is optional}.
If at 6 weeks, we find that LDL is not decreasing , we starts statins (lipitor like drugs). If the levels are decreasing but are not less than target level, trial is continued till 12 weeks. At 12 weeks if levels are not below target level , drug therapy is started.
3. The life style modifications include avoiding sweets and fried foods. Using fats (<30% of total calories), saturated fats (<7% of total calories), trans-fats (nil) and cholesterol (<200 mg /day) in recommended amounts. The diet should be XXXXXXX in fibers. A dietitian will help you out in a better manner to understand this.
Exercise daily under prescription of your doctor. Your weight is fine (hope it is in pounds only).
Hope this helps. Feel free to discuss further.