Have CPOD. I have lost my voice after medication. Should I be worried?

I went to er and they told me i have COPD this was last week im done with meds but now i cant speek i have lost my voice is this related should i worry?
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I would like to know what treatment are you taking for COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). Specially if you are taking Inhaler Corticosteroids than you may face this problem. The side effects of inhaled corticosteroids are loss of voice, hoarseness and yeast infections orally.

If you are using inhalers than loss of voice is surely be related to your treatment. Rinse your mouth properly after the use of inhaler and complete cessation of smoking will help you to get rid from your problem. You may use Metered Dose Inhaler (MDI), which protect you from side effects of the drug, consult your doctor for that.

Else you have to be investigated for the other causes like acute Laryngitis, obstruction in vocal cord, benign or malignant tumors or goiter.

Consult you treating doctor for proper cause and get rid of it as soon as possible.
Write back if you have any other queries.
Best Wishes and have a speedy recovery.
Dr. Kulbir Singh