Have COPD with chronic bronchitis. Taking Daliresp. Will it clear mucus?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have COPD with chronic bronchitis/mucus being my main problem. I just started taking Daliresp, hoping it will eliminate some of the coughing and mucus that I am coughing up constantly. Any experience with this? Thanks..
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not an expectorant.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

I hope your doctor have prescribed you Daliresp after your clinical examination.

Daliresp contains Roflumilast which acts as anti inflammatory in COPD cases and help in decreasing the flare ups.
It is not an expectorant. You are already taking hydrocortisone, which also has an anti inflammatory action.

You can discuss with your treating doctor about the advantage of taking daliresp, considering its side effects.

I would suggest that you can take steam inhalation which will help in coughing out the mucus. Mucolytic like Ambroxol will also be helpful.
A bronchodilator inhaler can be used for added benefits.
Antihistaminic like cetrizine 10 mg can be taken for relief from allergic cough.
Any medicine should be taken under medical supervision only.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Have COPD with chronic bronchitis. Taking Daliresp. Will it clear mucus? 18 hours later
I know there are many side effects with this drug; but I am wondering if it does eliminate some of the mucus, which is constant for me. I am able to expectorate pretty well so that isn't my big problem. The mucus which I feel has a strangling effect, causing SOB and social problem is the main issue and why I started with Daliresp. I plan to try this for 2 wks and if no improvement, stop it. This is alright with my pulmo doctor. Thanks
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may help.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your response.

Daliresp may help eliminate some mucus as it decreases the inflammation of the airway, thereby helping in expulsion of the mucus.
Since your pulmonologist, who have clinically examined you, has advised you to start the medicine, you can try it.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please mention.