Have COPD, take prednisone when have exacerbation which stops the cough. Any damage to organ?

I have COPD. There are no pulmonologists in this region. When I have an exacerbation, I take two 10mg predniscone and this stops the cough. Is this doing any damage to organs?
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Occasional steroids do not pose any threat.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Watson,

Thanks for the query, and I appreciate your concern for seeking help.

Occasional steroids do not have any major threat to any organs, that said you should not abruptly stop taking these steroids if you are on them for long time.

Instead of taking two tablets of 10 mg of prednisone, you could see if just one 10mg tablet has equal effect.

Even if there is no pulmonologist in the area where you live, COPD can be easily managed by an XXXXXXX medicine specialist, so consider making an appointment with an internist.

COPD exacerbation can also be managed equally effectively with other bronchodialotors such as salbutamol, theophyllin etc., you would indeed need a prescription to get them, but as I said earlier, you can get a prescription from an internist.

I sincerely hope this answers your question. You are most welcome to ask me any other question if you have any.

Warm regards,