Have COPD, on medication. Have swollen neck and feels uncomfortable. X-ray was normal. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
my mum got copd , and she on lot of medications .she also swollen on front of her neck ,she went to her doctor and complained about her neck ,saying that it feel like band or somethink in her thoat, so she had a xray, but nothing was show.i am worry and wonding if it mind be the sideaffect of the tablets
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 27 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The medications commonly used for COPD are inhalers containing bronchodilators and steroids. These would not cause these type of side-effects. Antibiotics can also be used in COPD but unless your mother was allergic to the antibiotics there would not be this type of problem. An allergic response can cause some throat swelling sometimes but before an antibiotic is prescribed the doctor would check for allergies.
Therefore, I can reassure you that the symptoms your mother is experiencing are most unlikely to be due to COPD medications.
I hope this has been of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger