Have COPD, having a flare up. Give Doxycyclene, prednisone and ventolin inhaler. Suggest treatment?

I have COPD. Apparently having a "flare up". Give Doxycyclene, prednisone (medrol pak) ventolin inhaler. Still coughing horribly in a.m. and p.m.. Already did a Zpak. Should I ask for some type of cough meidcine to get rid of white phlegm that is so hard to get up it hurts my ribs and back.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 19 minutes later

Indeed there are adjuvant symptomatic medications that can help in these circumstances; you don't want to completely eliminate cough reflex since it may predispose to reinfection; what you need is a mucolytic, meaning a medication that can make that phlegm more fluid and easier to expectorate; examples include acetylcysteine and guaifenessin.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN