Have CAV and had stent. On effient. Take norvasc and ramiprill. Have type 2 diabetes. Need help with erectile dysfunction?

I will be 65 in nov. I have CAV I just had a 2nd stent put in about 2 weeks ago. Im on effient 10mg 1/day I take norvasc 5mg 1/day and ramiprill 10mg 1/day I also have type 2 diabetes and take glipizide 10mg1/day and metforman 1000mg 2/day.I am pretty active go to the gym pretty regularly (3-4 times a week). Is there somthing that can help me with erectile dysfunction?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Phosphodiesterase inhibitors

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. With your history of CAV and diabetes, there is probably a physical substrated for your erectile dysfunction and many patients do benefit from phosphodiesterase inhibitors, such as sildenafil (viagra), tadalafil and others. The major contrainidcation for these medications is the simultaneous use with nitrates (like nitroglycerin or isosorbide), given risks of low blood pressure.

I would encourage you to discuss this option with your prescribing cardiologist.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have CAV and had stent. On effient. Take norvasc and ramiprill. Have type 2 diabetes. Need help with erectile dysfunction? 19 hours later
I do not take any nitrates aproxamotly what dosage of viagra would be apropriate? and what side effects are lickly?
sorry my question was not clear I do not take any nitrates aproematly how large a dosage of viagra is ok
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
50 mg usually starting dose

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir,

Thanks for the follow up. The usual starting dose of sildenafil is 50 mg, although some patients do respond to the smallest dose of 25 mg, 3 hours before planned intercourse. Side effects include headache, flushing, and rarely but importantly transient alterations in color perception.

Yours truly,

Dr B