Ask a Urologist   »  

Have Bacterial prostitatis, resistant to antibiotic. Have pain with infection. Had bladder neck surgery. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Bacterial prostitatis for over 12 months and is resistant to antibiotics.great deal of pain with constant infections. Bladder neck surgery to help with voiding has helped retention. Will prostate massage help?
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 50 minutes later
Hello
Thanks for your query Based on the facts that you have posted. It appears that you have undergone bladder neck incision for bladder neck obstruction and have problem of bacterial Prostatitis sine one year.

Will you please post me few more details to help me making comments on your problem.
1) Are you diabetic?
2) Are you taking any medication in addition to antibiotics?

Please get culture and sensitivity of a secretion from prostatic massage done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to so that you can take appropriate antibiotic.

You may need to consult Urologist to obtain a specimen of prostatic secretions by doing prostatic massage .

The prostatic massage will help to relieve symptoms to some extent.
Please take Tomsulosin along with antibiotic.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to write me again if you have more questions, I shall be happy to address the same.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have Bacterial prostitatis, resistant to antibiotic. Have pain with infection. Had bladder neck surgery. Suggest? 1 hour later
I have an ileostomy which makes XXXXXXX prostate massage impossible one urine culture only has shown enterobacter faecilis which was sensitive to Trimethoprim. I am borderline diabetic and take 5mg of Ramipril for for high BP.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up. Though you have Ileostomy I do not think it will in any way prohibit doing prostatic massage. You can do it yourself or get it done by any of your closed family member.
Ensure to check your sugar level to be sure to keep your diabetes under control. and continue taking trimethoprim.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Have Bacterial prostitatis, resistant to antibiotic. Have pain with infection. Had bladder neck surgery. Suggest? 19 hours later
The ileostomy means that I have no rectum I am concerned that the trimethoprim and Ramipril will raise potassium levels. Should they be checked. I am in Italy until the weekend and the Trimethprim will run out and I can only get bactrim here but it has a bad reputation.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 12 hours later
Hello
Thanks for follow up. Bactrim also contains Trmethoprim You can take another antibiotic like Doxycycline in place of Trimethoprim.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.