Ask a Urologist   »  

Have BPH. Is a non-surgical approach appropriate for someone with an enlarged prostate?

I have BPH and my prostate is about 90 grams. Is a non-surgical approach (eg. tumt or laser) appropriate for someone with a prostate this enlarged?
I would prefer this to surgury (turp), particularly since with TURP the chance of retrograde ejaculation so so high.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Radhika 58 minutes later

You are being diagnosed with BPH (Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy).You are interested in a non surgical approach like laser therapy.

For prostate gland with weight of 90gm you can try the laser therapy called as the Holmium laser enucleation of the prostate (HoLEP) technique. This is used to treat large prostate glands.

The holmium laser is a versatile tool that has been shown to provide advantages for the treatment of BPH. The entire range of prostate sizes can be treated effectively and efficiently with this laser, with a minimal morbidity profile and durable outcomes.

It can be performed in a hospital outpatient centre or an ambulatory treatment centre. It usually does not require overnight stay. You do not seem to have any medical problems, however in people who have associated medical problems such as heart disease, diabetes, or severe hypertension, or is in frail condition, an overnight stay may be recommended.

Moreover, Laser treatment usually results in decreased bleeding, fluid absorption, and length of hospital stay, as well as decreased incidence of impotence and retrograde ejaculation when compared with standard TURP (Transurethral Resection of the Prostate).

You can discuss this with your Urologist and consider the options available. Surgery can be avoided in your case.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.