Have BP spikes even after taking medicine. Feel heart beating on chest and taking anxiety medicine. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I have blood pressure spikes (even after taking my blood pressure medication). I can feel my heart beating hard through my chest. Even after I take anxiety medications too. I also begin to burp a lot.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

You are a healthy 37 years old female. You are taking anti hypertensive medicines and BP is not under control. You have palpitations even you take anxiety medicines. You have problem of burping also.

Coming to management-

- As the BP is not under control even with medicine then there is need for dietary adjustments. Control you salt intake. Don't use salt on salads or fruits. Reduce the intake of saturated fats and you can take unsaturated fats like sunflower oil or ground nut oil. Visit a doctor for any change in medicines or dose adjustments.

- For anxiety I would recommend you to consul your psychiatrist. Many medicines like propranolol or atenolol etc not only improve symptoms of anxiety like palpitations but also help to maintain BP in normal range. If anxiety symptoms increase in severity you can take other medicine like SSRIs. These medicine provide good control of anxiety. Low dose benzodiazepines are also useful in anxiety.

- Apart from medicines non medicinal treatment like breathing exercises, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation exercises help to improve the symptoms and also improves BP.

- supplements containing omega 3 fatty acids help in anxiety and improve symptoms. These supplements are commonly available.

- For relief of burping medicines like proton pump inhibitors as Omeprazole can be used. They are safe medicines and provide good control. Consult your doctor for detail prescription.

Hope it helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.