Have BMI of 17. How to increase weight?

Dietitian & Nutritionist
My BMI is 17. How can I increase my weight?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Grace Abraham 21 hours later

Diets, which help to gain weight in healthier and fast way, are foods, which are high in proteins.

According to your body Mass index, which is 17 kg/m is considered as underweight, whereas the normal BMI range is from 18.5-24.9 kg/m.

Generally, proteins are building blocks of the body. Proteins also provide stamina and immunity to the body.

Weight gain is as difficult as losing it, if you are naturally thin. It is not a good idea of increasing intake of junk foods and fatty foods to gain weight. You should be eating calorie dense yet nutritious food. Your calorie intake should come from foods that are healthy for you.

Protein XXXXXXX foods include whole pulses, legumes, sprouted grams, milk products, soya and its products, nuts and its products etc.

Weight gain is a slow process and it can be achieved by substituting foods high in calories and fats like oily fried foods, junk foods, highly saturated sweets, carbonated drinks with protein XXXXXXX foods like fruit milkshakes, chicken / tuna sandwich, boiled pulses like rajma, chole,paneer tikka, tofu sandwiches, dry fruit milkshakes, lassi, buttermilk, whole milk,soy flavoured milk, groundnut chikki/ burfi and peanut butter.

Remember that it can take a while to gain the weight you need, but be patient and continue to choose foods that are good for you until you reach your goal weight.

Here are a few tips to get you started:
•Have an extra slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter at breakfast.
•Add extra cheese to your sandwich.
•Slice an XXXXXXX and serve with almond butter.
•Stir chopped nuts into plain yogurt and top with honey.
•Serve yourself larger portions of starchy vegetables like potatoes and sweet corn.
•Add calories with a nutritious beverage such as milk, 100% fruit juices, or vegetable juice.

Hope I answered your query.

Grace Abraham