Have 69-70 PTH and low vitamin D. Safe to take high doses of D3?

Endocrinologist
Question
I have high 10,8 calcium varies but always in the above normal for my age of 55 female and 69-70 PTH very low Vitiamin D. The doc thinks raising my Vitiaman D will stop this,all I have read says hyperparathyroidisim and taking high doses of D3 can hurt you? I am seeing an endocrinologist and want to trust,but every thing I read frm the library to the internet does not agree with her ideas.Is there and endo on staff to consult with?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
The most recent guidelines in the domain of 'Primary Hyperparathyroidism' (1HPT) and 'Hypercalcemia' recommend that (25 hydroxy) vitamin D levels of greater than 20 should not be treated in this condition. The reason is, as you have read too from various sources, that it may potentially worsen the calcium levels in the blood.

However, values of less than 20 for the same are generally required to be treated, while monitoring the blood levels for calcium, phosphorus, PTH and 25 hydroxy vitamin D. If you have a history of kidney stones, then occasionally 24 hour urinary studies for calcium excretion may be required.

The key is to make the correct diagnosis of 1HPT. A qualified endocrinologist typically rules out FHH (Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia) before arriving at a diagnosis of FHH.

For more information, you may wish to peruse these weblinks:

WWW.WWWW.WW
WWW.WWWW.WW