Have 4 week old child breastfeeding. Is it safe to get hair colored with dye?

Question
I have a 4 week old that I'm breastfeeding, is it safe to go into a hair salon and get my hair colored with dye?
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Your concern is understandable however very little of chemical in the XXXXXXX is absorbed into the blooodstream. Since it is not present in significant amounts in the blood stream then it would not be present in the breast milk.

Women commonly use hair XXXXXXX when breast feeding with no negative results.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have 4 week old child breastfeeding. Is it safe to get hair colored with dye? 27 hours later
Thank you so much! Just out of curiosity; the small amount that is absorbed, how long would it take to be fully out of my bloodstream?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
HI

The main issue with dyeing the hair is the smell or possible fumes from the hair XXXXXXX This is why it should be done in a well ventilated area and the baby should not be exposed to the smell, some babies do not like the smell of the dyed hair and may not latch on.

In terms of absorption of the XXXXXXX into your blood stream , as mentioned previously, this amount is very insignificant and not enough to enter your breast milk.
The insignificant amount that enters would take 6 to 8 hrs for excretion.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Have 4 week old child breastfeeding. Is it safe to get hair colored with dye? 29 hours later
The fumes are unsafe ONLY if baby is around? So, if I'm the only one exposed to the fumes, this should be fine, or does that still go into my bloodstream?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 28 minutes later
HI

The fumes are XXXXXXX if the area is not well ventilated and they therefore are likely to be inhaled.
If the salon is ventilated which is normally the requirement, then this is unlikely but since even a small amount may potentially affect a baby then it may be best that she or he is not exposed to it.

In an adult with a much larger size than a baby there is an increase blood volume and increased dilution of any chemical contaminants.

Please feel free to ask anything else