Have 2 bunions. One have slight hammer toe and a curved toenail. Best method for deformation without surgery?

I have 2 bunions. One is to the point that I now have slight hammer toe and a curved toenail . What would be the best method to correct my deformation with surgery.
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query

Surgery for sure is the definitive measure for correcting your bunions. The aim of surgery is to restore the anatomy and prevent complications such as arthritis etc.

It is difficult to say that this is what would be done, because the method that would be used depends on the surgeon. More so, procedures are designed and chosen to correct a variety of pathologies that may be associated with the bunion. For instance, procedures may address some combination of the following depending on the presentation of the given bunion;

-removing the abnormal bony enlargement of the first metatarsal,
-realigning the first metatarsal bone relative to the adjacent metatarsal bone,
-straightening the great toe relative to the first metatarsal and adjacent toes,
-realigning the cartilagenous surfaces of the great toe joint,
-addressing arthritic changes associated with the great toe joint,
-repositioning the sesamoid bones beneath the first metatarsal bone,
-shortening, lengthening, raising, or lowering the first metatarsal bone, and
-correcting any abnormal bowing or misalignment within the great toe.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to response.
Best regards
Dr Achuo