Has wound, scab seems to continue to fall off resulting in open skin. Is there a permanent way to heal it?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi! I'm XXXXXXX My mom is XXXXXX. She is 95yrs young! She has a wound on her right XXXXXXX that has been being treated since December 23, 2012. It is not infected, but the scab seems to continue to fall off and she has a dime size section of raw open skin. We rinse it with saline solution daily and put on a thin piece of gauze to keep it clean. Is there anything on the market that we can get to put on this wound so it will heal completely.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 35 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be bacterial infection like impetigo ,seborrheic keratoses,vasculitic ulcer etc.
I would also know-
Is there any itching /pain on the area?

Is the lesions persistent since december?
Is she on any medications presently apart from warfarin?
Any symptoms like fever / malaise?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can use Mupirocin 2% ointment twice daily over the area to heal it.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Regards.
Dr. Sudarshan
Dermatologist