Ask a Dentist   »  

Has three impacted wisdom teeth. Has low thyroid. Has pain and feels fatigue. Swollen neck glands. Suggestions?

Question
Hello from the UK, My daughter who is 27 has three impacted wisdom teeth. One just visible. (The fourth came through and fell apart through lack of dentine and was taken out by our dentist) She has low thyroid under treatment. She has suffered from recurring bouts of debilitating malaise. She is fatiqued all the time. She gets pain from two of the bottom teeth at times. but dentist said not infected. She has had badly swollen neck glands and up behind her head for months now. She has had six lots of antibiotics this year with no effect. Our doctor has run endless tests and has no answer as to why. I have done some research and heard anecdotal evidence that impacted wisdom teeth can cause all her symptoms. I took her to our dentist but he said if she could push her teeth with her tongue and they didn't hurt that they were not the cause. No x-rays have ever been taken. can I have your thoughts?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 2 hours later

I will be glad to provide you with the best possible answers here.

I do not know why the Dentist did not advise X-rays for your daughter, Most probably the symptoms are from impacted wisdom teeth.

When the wisdom teeth are unable to erupt due to lack of space in the jaw, the tooth tries to apply pressure against the jaw trying to erupt. This pressure radiates to the nerve which produces pain in turn.

The only solution is to take your daughter to an Oral surgeon and get the X-rays done.

I cannot provide you with the diagnosis until I check the X-rays.

If you have any further queries feel free to write back to us.

I hope the answer was useful to some extent.

I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Has three impacted wisdom teeth. Has low thyroid. Has pain and feels fatigue. Swollen neck glands. Suggestions? 6 hours later
Hello. Please can you answer these.....so It is possible to have wisdom tooth pain with no infection? (blood tests showed no infection and only slightly raised inflamatory marker which doc. Put down to hayfever? And it is quite possible they are causing glands and malaise even though no active infection? I realise x rays are ddefinirely needed but your reply will help me get them. Meeting a XXXXXXX wall here! Thank you. XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back,
I apologise for replying late,
I would like you to know that impacted wisdom tooth due to lack of enough space in the jaw applies continuous pressure on the nerve which results in a radiating pain on the same side of the face.
I am glad you now know how important X rays are to diagnose the cause.
Also, swollen lymph nodes and malaise are symptoms of infection , therefore cannot be linked to wisdom tooth until infection is seen in the area.
I hope i answered your query.
Feel free to post further questions and kindly make your daughter see an oral surgeon soon.
I wish you good health.
take care.

Follow-up: Has three impacted wisdom teeth. Has low thyroid. Has pain and feels fatigue. Swollen neck glands. Suggestions? 8 days later
so.... will it only be possible to tell if there is infection in /around wisdom tooth/teeth with an x-ray?
I am confused ...
you are saying that glands will only be up when there is an infection but both our doctor and dentist are saying there is no infection as there is no sign of infection in blood results or on visual examination.
Unless you can tell me it is possible to have an infection or other problem (cyst?) that will show up with an x-ray that could be causing her illness I will probably not be able to get anyone to arrange an x-ray.
Please give me some backup links/info to support your answer that I can refer our health people too
thanks
XXXXX
please explain.

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 7 hours later
hello,
thanks for writing back,

I would like you to know that X-rays are important in order to diagnose the condition, But if the doctors after clinically examining feels that there is no need for x-rays then I would agree with them.
Cysts if present can be detected in the blood reports, but as the blood reports were thoroughly checked by the doctor, I assume no such condition was present.

Do not worry, If the x-rays are needed, your dentist will prescribe them for your daughter.

The medical history of your daughter states that she has been diagnosed for hypothyroidism, Symptoms like malaise, weakness, swollen neck are linked to hypothyroidism.
I will recommend you to see a physician as well for the same.
For the wisdom teeth, I will advise a few home care instructions to follow;
1. warm saline rinses(3-4 times/day),
2. use an antibacterial mouth rinse (twice/day),
3. cold compresses on the affected side only.
4. painkiller can be taken if the pain persists, but avoid over dosage.

If you have further queries kindly write back to us,
I wish you and your daughter a very good health,
take care.

Follow-up: Has three impacted wisdom teeth. Has low thyroid. Has pain and feels fatigue. Swollen neck glands. Suggestions? 2 hours later
Her 'swollen neck' is not goiter but glands including up back of head. I would like another specialist Dentist to review the information and questions I have submitted. Please arrange. Thanks XXXXX

Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your questions with healthcare magic. You will be provided with the best possible assistance by another dental specialist if you can start a new thread.
Thank you.

Follow-up: Has three impacted wisdom teeth. Has low thyroid. Has pain and feels fatigue. Swollen neck glands. Suggestions? 21 minutes later
How do I start a new thread? Am I expected to pay for a third time?

Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 4 hours later

You just have to email our customer care and let them know that you need to consult a second dentist for second opinion.

Thanks.