Has swollen abdomen. Blood work normal. Gained weight. Feeling lethargic and nauseated. Normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My wife has a swollen abdomen she went to the dr and blood work performed but came back normal. In 10 days she has gained 20 lbs all fluid. She is lethargic and nauseated some time as well. All tests come back normal though please help!
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The sudden gaining of 20 lbs in 10 days is due to water retention in the body. IF the heart failure, cirrhosis of liver and renal failure has been ruled out after clinical examination and blood tests then other causes like increased salt intake, laxative abuse, infection, ascites, etc need to be ruled out.
The diuretics that she is now taking should cause her to lose some weight and the swelling around the abdomen. In case it is persistent then do get her ultrasound scan done to rule out ascites or any abdominal pathology.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Has swollen abdomen. Blood work normal. Gained weight. Feeling lethargic and nauseated. Normal? 26 minutes later
Thank you, we are very concerned she weighed at our dr office on 6/17/13 and weighed today 6/21/13 and has gained 7 more lbs. Is there a sense of urgency we should be feeling as in an immediate visit? Is there any way this could be a gluten allergy. We just don't understand why all blood work and urine samples come back normal
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Since there is a considerable weight gain in the matter of few days, it is a matter of worry and needs a medical attention. Such a large weight gain is not likely to be due to gluten allergy. It is best to go for an emergency care to find out the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.