Has swelling on tip of thumb, painful and have pus. Applied salt but no help. Advise?

Recnetly my mother has a sweeling on her right thumb at the tip , appearance is like pus getting accumulated , but it is also painful. Earlier also she had this type of swelling , due to excessive water related work like dish washing , clothes etc.
We tried with application of salt . but still the pain is there .
Is there any ointment for this swelling ? Pls advise
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Felon or paronychia

Detailed Answer:

Your mother has either felon or paronychia. Since you are describing as finger tip it is most likely a felon.

Warm compresses sometimes help for this, else draining of the site under aspetic conditions is the main treatment. You should see a local doctor. I do not believe if any ointment works. It would futile and waste of time however paronychia can be treated.

There should have been a puncture into the skin and pulp that resulted in this. She should be careful not to puncture the skin.

Please let me know if you have further queries.
Follow-up: Has swelling on tip of thumb, painful and have pus. Applied salt but no help. Advise? 2 days later
Thanks doctor for your diagnosis,
But since I saw your reply only today , I took her to the local doctor , who gave her antibiotics and certain medicines before puncturing it with a small needle and the pus oozed out . Then the wound was dressed and the doc told her to continue the same medicines . But she was advised not to wet the hand at all.

Hope she gets some relief as it was very painful .

Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ok wait for three days for complete healing

Detailed Answer:
Wait for three days for complete healing, it should not be wet. Let your mother not injure while doing daily household chores. The more injuries the more problems ahead.

Thank you.